Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Silver teeth...

A year ago, Konner went to the dentist for a cleaning.  The dentist told us his teeth were great, no cavities, and sent us on our way with a book, a balloon, and a free dinner to Red Robin. Konner had a great experience and was excited to go back in 6 months. So.... 6 months later we went back for another cleaning. This time the dentist said Konner needed 4 fillings and 4 caps!   WHAT?!!? I couldn't believe it! We were just there and his teeth were great! I was very leery of the diagnosis and wanted a second opinion.  Sure enough, he was in need of 4 freaking caps, and 4 fillings! The dentist wanted to put him under to do all the work..... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!?? I was a nervous wreck. After talking to my mom for hours about it, I decided it was an ok thing to do.  We had to be at the dentist at 6:30 a freaking m! They do the sedation appointments in the early morning because the kids can not eat 12 hours prior. When we got to the office, I was soooo nervous about the whole thing. They gave Konner a little medicine to make him loopy. We sat in the waiting room for about 15 minutes... then came the WORST part... the dentist came out and said, "Ok, I will carry Konner back. We will see you when we're done"   AHHHH... I was so scared that something was going to go wrong. I wouldnt be back there to know what was going on. No one cares about him as much as I do, and that freaked me out! I asked lots and LOTS of questions and then they were gone. I waited in the waiting room, trying to study... (I was to nervous to concentrate)  At about 8:30 the dental assistant came out to get me. Konner was done but still ZONKED out. We waited in the recovery room while I held Konner, waiting for him to wake up. The dentist told me about 5% of kids have a reaction to the anesthesia that makes them sick.... WELL, KONNER WAS ONE OF THE 5%. He threw up all over his head during the procedure. They gave him a little sponge bath before they brought him out. I felt so bad. He threw up 3 more times in the recovery room and then finally woke up. They let us go home at 10:30. Getting out of the office was quite the chore. I had to carry Konner cause he couldnt walk. I had all my school books, sleeping Zaydee, and a purse that weighs 1 billion lbs! The girls were awesome. They carried Zaydee and my school stuff so I could get Konner out. He threw up on the way home and 2 times when we got home.  The good news is, he didnt remember any of the pain. He got over the sickness by about 2 and was good to go. He wanted a mirror so he could see his silver teeth. He wanted to show every one how cool they were. 
in the recovery room. 
checking out his new silver teeth!

1 comment:

Cassie said...

My niece had to get the same thing done last week, but she also had to get 3 mini root canals.