Thursday, July 15, 2010

Certified Nursing Assistant....


It feels so good to accomplish something you have worked very hard for. I finished my CNA course and passed with an "A"....
I had a great teacher and really fun classmates! I learned a TON and I am super excited for the nursing program!
To become a CNA, part of your hours are spent in a care center, taking care of old people. That was very hard work and it takes a special kind of person to do it. 
I got the chance to follow some GREAT CNA's and some not so great ones. I did my 24 hours at St. George Care and Rehabilitation. On the last day I made every one take a little picture so I would always remember that experience. 
Some of the things I did there were better than others......
Change briefs (a.k.a diapers) not so pleasant
give showers
feed elderly people
make beds... with and without people in them
apply oxygen
send a gentleman to the ER
catheter care
help people get up and in a wheelchair
more brief changes
comb and style hair
paint nails and play dolls
answer call lights
get hit on by old pervert men
talk to and learn about the residents
take vital signs
did i mention brief changes.... I think I did so many, I am scared for life!
get kicked by an old lady while trying to shower her
Some of the happy things I will never forget.

The first time I went I wheeled a darling old lady to the dining room for breakfast and "Ice Ice Baby" was blaring on the radio!
Rosie: "What is that cute boys name?"
ME: "Oh, his name is Austin"
Rosie: "My husbands name was Austin. He was great... but he had a huge nose!"
Mikey and all his hugs and funny hats
Rosie and Ruth
Rosie: giggling...
Me: "What is so funny Rosie?"
Rosie: "I farted!" "Oh I should be ashamed of myself!"
The cute husband and wife that share a room and are soooo in love still
Alzheimer's unit
Ruth singing B.A.N.A.N.A.S

I am very glad it is over, but I learned so much and overall had a very good experience. I gained a whole new respect for nurses and cnas in nursing homes. 
p.s I really hope I die before I have to be put in a place like that......but if not, I hope I have good CNA's to take care of me!

2 comments:

The Staheli's said...

Awesome post. (I was laughing aloud) You are so awesome. I've been so impressed with you diligence in school and your goals. Keep it up! :)

Susan E said...

GREAT JOB! I bet it feels good to get that behind ya.